Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Itch

Hey, I can hate the West Nile Virus with the best of ‘em, but honestly, do you really have to come down my street with the mosquito poison truck? Really, this happens here.

So yesterday I was enjoying a bit of computer/ice cream time after the kids fell asleep when I heard the dreaded sound of the fogger truck coming towards our house. I started running around the house like a crazy woman shutting windows. (I’m probably the only one doing this because everyone else is using air conditioning already.) Luckily the kids slept through it all because I certainly wasn’t quiet about it. Despite my frantic window slamming, I didn’t make it to the upstairs windows. At least it didn’t come in the dining room or kitchen. I can’t imagine it’s good to have insecticide on your table or dishes. It just can’t be good.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird! Why do they have to do that? Does Saginaw have a particularly bad mosquito problem or something?

I'm sorry. That would probably bug me too. :(

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does seem like such a weird and retro thing for them to do -- in this time of budget crisis, there is almost an inference that they have no bigger problems there, which seems unlikely. Maybe you should go to their open house next week and suggest that, instead of spewing pesticide all over you, they spend some time making your various neighbors drain their ponds and empty standing containers of water . . . it would be cheaper, maybe more effective, and certainly better for the environment. Want a babysitter?

6:54 AM  
Blogger jennifer said...

sarah- I don't think our mosquitos are any worse than anyone else in Michigan. I will say that I've heard the chemicals are from Dow, which is a big industry around here. Hmmmmm......

Guh- I'm sure that they would claim that they spend a lot of resources on education and source reduction as well.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I never realized this still happened.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am having second thoughts pesticides, having gotten home late last night (early this morning) covered in no-see-um bites after my weekend in florida. I definitely could have used some pesticide there! Did you have no-see-ums in Louisiana? They are small bugs (although not as small as the name suggests) and some people (like ken) are not bothered by them while other people (like me and ken's son) are covered with itchy red welts after only a few minutes around them. They are a small price to pay to find a good seashell, but I didn't find anything worth keeping on this trip, so all I brought home was the itch!

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home