Monday, November 26, 2007

Story time

It’s starting to get that “winter” look outside, and it makes me want to stay in until April. But I know that would be bad for the little rug rats, and besides, I’d probably go clinically brain-dead from picking up all of the train track pieces from every flat surface of our house every day for five months. So where do we go? I’d like to go to the library to check out some new books, because if I have to read Trucks, Zoom Whizz Rumble just once more I think I’ll need medication. But the problem is that the best time to go to the library on Mondays is during “story time.” And honestly, I avoid story time like I avoid Walmart. Don’t get me wrong, all you library-lovers. I do the whole library thing. It’s just the story time that gets to me. First of all, I think there is some kind of Brown Bear, Brown Bear cult. Every time they read that book, all of the parents start chanting it along with the librarian. Picture a group of moms (sometimes a dad or two) half-whispering “Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? I see a red bird looking at me. Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me. Yellow duck, yellow duck…” It’s just creepy. One time they read some familiar nursery rhymes, and that didn’t happen. So it’s not just because the parents are familiar with the story. There is something about that book. But I’ll tell you what, I’m not feeling the need to join in on the chanting.

The second strange thing is that the librarian often does not really read the book. Sometimes, she paraphrases or skips lines. Maybe she thinks the kids don’t have the attention span for the chosen book. But if that’s the case, then CHOOSE A DIFFERENT BOOK! Or, at the very least don’t interject in the middle of the story to explain how you are soon going to visit your own little grandchildren in Colorado, and how excited you are to see them because you don’t get to see them that often, but you’ll have to really celebrate Thanksgiving on Wednesday instead of Thursday because that’s when everyone will be there. Even I don’t have the attention span for that. But I really don’t have the attention span for much lately. So maybe it’s just me. Perhaps we’ll simply stay in for the day. We can go tomorrow. I’ll just have to listen to that truck book again tonight. Please just tell me we have a little more red wine so I can have a glass after the kids go to sleep.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a lot more.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi hi

just finished "the other boleyn girl" by phillipa gregory (not knowing it is soon to be a movie).

a very grown-up book, indeed. i really liked it. maybe you will too?

12:14 AM  
Blogger jennifer said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Amy. Maybe I'll check it out if it's available next time I go to the library.

And, hey. I taped GMA, but haven't watched yet.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, it didn't air yet so you have time :)

it is set to air sometime in december, 13th and 14th possibly.

i will keep you updated as soon as i know for sure.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny about the the chanting of the Brown Bear, Brown Bear book Jennifer. I would probably feel the same way in that situation. Speaking of Story Times, I'm ashamed to say I've never sat in on any at the Library I work. I've been there for two years and I have yet to pop in on one. Guess that's what I get for sitting behind the scenes in Technology all day every day. Ha ha! I'll have to pop into one of the storytimes before I leave in March. Hopefully they'll be reading anything but Brown Bear, Brown Bear. ;)

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The winter is always tough...I would recommend trying a community center (ours has an open gymnasium along with a rhythm/rhymes program), after Christmas the mall play area (if the Saginaw mall has one) can be good (just be prepared to wash your hands often), barnes & noble/borders sometimes has a kid area where the kids can wander around.

I know of a few great places, but they're too far away from you. I'm sure you'll be able to find something good to do with the kiddos, though.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home