Thursday, September 14, 2006

Our little one is getting so big!

And no, I don’t mean Renée. (Although she is getting big. She's in the 75th percentile for weight and height—something I’m not used to in a baby. She also gives us a lot of adorable smiles and cute little baby sounds. She really is an amazing little thing.) No, it’s not Renée, it’s my little spider friend that has been living next to/in our fireplace for some time now. Every time I’m walking around holding one of my two babies, either early in the morning or later in the evening, I see this spider. I keep meaning to kill it, but I can never get around to it with a kid in my hands. And whenever I don’t have a kid in my hands (which is not very often—I do even now), the spider has retreated into his home, and I can’t get to him. I have now known this spider for much of its life. He was small, but not so much anymore. They grow up so fast! (I would post a picture, but like all promised pictures of our little ones, I don’t always get the free time to do it.) Sometimes this spider even builds an addition on his house, and it spreads out much farther than I would like. I take care of that when it happens, but not the spider himself. Sometimes I walk by it and think maybe I don’t care. How much longer will it live anyway? And for those of you who know me, you know that by reading that last statement, it is clear that my children have either helped me relax a little, or have completely made me nuts.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Umm...no. That spider would have been long gone after I saw it once. I absolutely HATE spiders despite the knowledge that they are harmless. I literally freak out when I see them. Knowing they are crawling around in mny house would only make it harder for me to sleep at night. Believe me, I've missed my fair share to know that.

You must have gotten more laid back if they bugged you before. I hope I get the same way after I have a kid or two. In the meantime, I just scream "Jeff!!! A spider! Help!"

By the way....can you send an e-mail out of Renee? We would love to see how she looks these days. My friend Jason just sent his son's first baby pics out. I know they change so much in the first year.

5:29 PM  
Blogger TK said...

Wow. I can't believe you (almost) don't care about this spider. You are not the Jen I once knew. Must be all those cute spiders in the baby books.

Don't you know, if you kill a spider it will rain?

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it is a good plan to keep your spider close and under constant surveillance ~ but watch out for his little friends. I sense an uprising. My house and car are suddenly awash in spiders. They were having some sort of turf war on my car the other day, easily a dozen of them scurrying over the windshield and back and forth from behind the side mirrors. Three in my bathroom this morning. And me without any vacuum attachments to move them from this world to the next! Let it rain!

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home